Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Fundraising Letter

Hello to all my friends, family and colleagues,

I hope you are all in good health and spirits and that the New Year is treating you well. I have wonderful news to share with you. I recently applied to The One World Foundation of New York and I have been selected to participate in their Summer Program. I will be spending 8 weeks during the summer in Cambodia as a Youth Leader from June 1st - August 1st!!!!

The One World Foundation is a non-profit organization with the mission to empower young people from minority and indigenous backgrounds with an opportunity to gain training and fieldwork experience in international human rights and development. . One World Foundation seeks to equip younger generations with the tools necessary to affect social change on both domestic and international levels. The 8 week program is divided into two phases: a one-week Leadership Training on Human Rights and Development, and a seven-week internship with.a local or national non-governmental organization. You can view their site at http://theoneworldfoundation.org.

I am fortunate enough to be working with a group called Tiny Toones. Tiny Toones uses breakdancing, Hip-Hop music, and the contemporary arts as creative tools to empower the youth of Cambodia to live healthier lives free of HIV and drugs, build a more promising future by furthering their educational opportunities, and become positive role models for their community. You can also view their site at http://tinytoones.org.

Gaining all this great experience comes at a price but the outcomes will be worth every penny. I have to pay a program fee of $3,500. This covers my round-trip transportation from Washington, DC to the host country, housing, medical evacuation insurance, training sessions, and a food and bottled water stipend. I am humbling myself in asking anyone who can afford to donate funds to contribute to my efforts in becoming an international, well rounded and experienced leader. If everyone can donate at least $40 I am sure I can raise this amount in no time. I will be thankful for any amount donated, great or small. I hope to learn from this experience and bring back as much as I can to improve the lives of our youth here in NYC and Cambodia. Anyone interested in donating please email me at rpiedra@elpuente.us so that I can give you more details about my trip plans and where to send the funds.

Because of my dedication, passion and intensive background in human rights and youth development due to my work with El Puente, I believe influenced The One World’s decision in selecting me out of the overwhelming applicants who applied. I have been working in my community for over 12 years and with youth for 7. Starting as a young person to now a woman I look back and smile at all that I’ve accomplished thus far and all the obstacles I’ve had to jump through to get here. I look forward to my journey ahead and this trip is just the beginning. With that said I want to thank everyone who has ever supported me and my efforts to grow. I want to especially thank my husband Richard Scott who is supporting me 100%. Thank you all so much and God Bless.

Thank you,

Rosa Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment